Geoff co-established TDB in 2002 and has had 25 years’ experience in corporate finance and treasury from both the bank and corporate sides of the relationship.
Geoff’s experience ranges across a number of sectors, including agribusiness, energy, finance, gambling, investment management and sports.
While Geoff’s primary activity has been the establishment and management of a private equity fund (www.difl.co.nz), his TDB Advisory clients in recent years have included BNZ, New Zealand Post, Kiwirail, Landcorp, the Maori Economic Taskforce, Steel and Tube, Emulex, and a number of agribusiness companies.
Examples of projects Geoff has undertaken for these clients include:
- The establishment of a trading platform for energy – www.energyhedge.co.nz.
- The valuation of Open Country Cheese Company and the public float of the company.
- Independent opinions under the takeover’s code.
- Establishment, capital raising and management of a private equity fund – www.difl.co.nz.
- The sale of a 30% shareholding in Hamilton Sky City Casino.
- Treasury policy reviews.
- Arrangement of bank debt.
- Risk analysis and a business plan for sports betting.
Geoff is a practised director and in recent years has been a director of:
- Open Country Cheese Company Limited.
- Kaimai Cheese Company Limited.
- Dairy Investment Fund Limited.
- Sisam and Sons Limited.
Geoff left Fonterra in 2002 where he was global head of corporate finance and treasury for the New Zealand Dairy Board (NZDB) and participated in the finance and treasury projects through the establishment phase of Fonterra.
These projects included: restructuring and replacing the equivalent of NZ$8 billion of global funding facilities; establishing the interim treasury policies; valuation of NZDB; and the organisational design of treasury and corporate finance.
Geoff was a member of the treasury, tax and the audit committees of NZDB. Before NZDB, Geoff was the head of treasury sales and service for the Bank of New Zealand. In this role he was responsible for all aspects of treasury sales and service activities throughout NZ and offshore.
Geoff has a finance degree from the University of Waikato, is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of New Zealand, a Board member and fellow of the Institute of Finance Professionals of New Zealand, and is a past Chairman of the New Zealand Society of Corporate Treasurers.
Geoff is also a past lecturer in International Corporate Finance at Victoria University of Wellington in the Master of Applied Finance program.