Ian joined TDB as an associate in 2015 after working with the TDB team on a number of assignments in recent years. Ian has worked with a wide variety of organisations across a wide range of settings on financial and economic questions.
Areas of specialty include:
- Strategic business analysis and review
- Business valuation and capital structure analysis
- Cost-benefit analysis and economic impact analysis
- Quantitative risk analysis
- Financial condition assessment of non-profit organisations
- Commercial negotiation support
- Performance-based contracts
Ian has experience of governance both as a director/trustee and in advisory capacities. In recent years he has been involved in the governance of:
- Ngāti Mākino Assets Ltd
- Te Mana o Ngāti Rangitihi Trading Trust
- Tūhoe Te Uru Taumatua
- Earthquake Commission
- Private companies involved in investment management, investment banking, manufacturing, distribution, and retail
- Clan Keith in New Zealand Inc as founder president.
Ian started his career in the New Zealand Government Treasury where he worked primarily on tax policy, energy, and economic forecasting. From the mid-1980s he worked in the capital markets as an economist and later in corporate finance. He was a founding partner of Cameron & Company Investment Bankers in 1995 and joined Burleigh Evatt as a partner director in 2001. Since 2012, he has been a freelance financial and economic consultant.
Ian has an honours degree in economics and mathematics from the University of Canterbury. He attended the IMF Institute in Washington DC’s Fiscal Policy Programme (FPP) in 1984 and attended the International Centre for Money and Banking (ICBM) in Geneva in 1991.
He is a member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors (IOD) and New Zealand Institute of Forestry (NZIF).
In 2007, he was a co-commentator (with Associate Professor David White, VUW School of Accounting and Commercial Law) on the Mirrlees Review of the UK tax systems undertaken by the Institute for Fiscal Studies.
Examples of advisory projects Ian has recently undertaken for clients include:
- Review of preparations for the introduction of GST in Malaysia.
- Lead negotiator for Te Arawa ki Tai in commercial matters relating to the wreck of the Rena.
- Acquisition due diligence examination of a geothermal power station.
- Opotiki District Council on development of a commercial harbour.
- Business plans and economic benefits analysis in support of Conservation Act concession applications.
- Review of a proposed geothermal power development.
- Real Journeys Limited on acquisition of Cardrona Alpine Resort.
- Economic Sector Development in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville.
- Hutt City Council on governance options for the Wellington Region.
- Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) on the business case development for a replacement biocontainment laboratory facility at Wallaceville.
- Minister of Finance of Tonga, on revenue reforms 2004-2008 and financial assistance to affected businesses after the November 2006 civil disturbances.
- Strategic adviser to the Government of Tonga on the sale of its 40 percent interest in Westpac Bank of Tonga, and acquisition of the Kingdom’s electric power system.
- Adviser to the Atihau Whanganui Incorporation on settlement negotiations with the Crown.